Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Episode 16: But At What Cost?

Hoo boy, editing this episode took a lot out of me. The editing process is a bit more intensive than in previous episodes because I'm still working out using a sound gate to remove echo from my voice, though the results are awesome. I think the sound quality of this episode is probably the best we've ever had, and while editing this I was laughing out loud and having a great time editing until the wee hours of the morning. Audacity had been giving me some hiccups lately (randomly freezing, being generally slow, etc.) but nothing a couple restarts couldn't fix, right? Well, when I was done editing at 4:00 am (around my usual bedtime), I went to save the file before I exported it, and while Audacity was saving the file, it crashed. The whole thing. By the time I was able to get it back up, the "recovered file" was completely useless. (It was still there, but every minute or so there'd be a big gap of like ten seconds where the audio was completely gone.)

Now, that's not the biggest issue there could be, because I always save multiple times (and I always keep a Master File of each episode in a separate folder so there's no chance of ever deleting an entire episode). However, my last save had been almost two hours prior, so that meant that those two hours were gone. Gone, I say! So I had to edit most of the episode twice. I've never gone from feeling so good about an episode to feeling so angry towards it in such a short period of time.

But wait a minute, is this the blog where Gabe complains about his editing woes? No! This is the Inter-Party Conflict blog, where I post show notes! So in this episode we talk about mazes, cartoon paintbrushes, killing PCs and we had our first heavily rules-based question. So I hope you enjoy it! We had a great time making it until Audacity crapped the bed.

If any of you have any questions for us to discuss, any magic items for the Dragon's Hoard, or if you have any suggestions for an audio editing program that doesn't suck, e-mail us at InterPartyConflict@gmail.com!

Episode 16: No Mazes Allowed

RSS Feed Link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions answered this episode:

1. Have you ever used a map for a dungeon that was intentionally drawn to be a maze or labyrinth? How did you go about making it, or did you use a pre-made one?

2. Do you think the 5e wizards familiar in conjunction with the help action is too powerful particularly with an owl?

3. How do you handle character death? What's your philosophy? Have you ever killed a character and had their player quit playing because of that?

(Technically, ZeusAndHisBeard also asked Jeff how he was doing, but I'm not counting that.)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noteworthy links:

Bendy and the Ink Machine

A Youtube video about Owl Familiars and the Help action

No comments:

Post a Comment